Yesterday was one of those days.
I felt completely overwhelmed, like I might jump out of my skin. I could feel my insides pacing. My To Do List was long, but more than that, it was a multi-project To Do List. I had To Dos from my business to my laundry, my kids to my art. A collision of my life.
So what’s a girl to do?
I ate 1/4 of a German Chocolate Cake (Thanks to Sylvia & Loetree our chocolate cake delivering friends)… then not only did I feel overwhelmed, I felt kinda sick.
That cake was a feeble attempt to drown out the voice that was telling me to take an electronic break and just sit and do nothing. I couldn’t do that. I had WAAAAYYY to much to do. So, I ate a cake.
Really, I needed silence. Stillness. A moment to let go. Really.
Let go of…
- My son’s temper tantrum. An 8 year old is just too old to wrestle out of a car to his classroom.
- Broken dryer… baskets and baskets of laundry and only so much clothesline.
- Last minute calls, cancellations, emails and questions for a weekend workshop. Did I say I was volunteering?
- Lease snafu with an art gallery
- Missed marketing deadline for a mini workshop for survivors of sexual abuse
- Creating a flyer for my Nia classes
- Blog post to you… Hello? It’s Thursday instead of Tuesday.
- Cleaning pee out of my youngest’s bed (Refer above to broken dryer)
Can you relate?
Feel like pulling out your hair or putting your hands over your ears, closing your eyes and singing Tra-la-la Tra-la-la until it just gets a little quieter?
We ALL have those days. For me, it used to last years. It was just too much. So I learned ways to cope and I help women create balance and tune in. Ha! And Yes, I totally lose it too. (I get to test drive my own wisdom and sometimes eat cake.)
Here is what I do when I’m overwhelmed…
1) Feel it. Feel when it’s all crashing around or your insides are in a knot and your getting snappy. There is a sensation in your body. Is it tight or lose? Where is it?Take a breath. Feel it some more. Breathe right to that spot in your body.
2) Put your hand on your heart, close your eyes and ask yourself, What is 1 thing I can do right now to help?
3) Just do it baby.
Simple? Yes. But it works.
Stuffing your emotions and feelings doesn’t work. It just makes you wonky… a cake-eating, snap-at-your-kids, crying-for-no-reason, no-urge-to-get-out-of-bed lady. No one wants to be her.
Your heart is wise, wise, wise. When you close your eyes and tune in, your heart will ALWAYS have an answer for you. Too often, though, we think we don’t have the time or that the answer is too simple. Your heart could tell you to unplug, pray, dance, drink water, paint, scream, take a nap. Who knows!
Leave a comment and tell me what has you feeling overwhelmed and what’s your heart telling you to do.